THE DANCER AND CHOREOGRAPHER
Santosh Nair's journey as a dancer began under the blessings of his father Shri Kalamandalam
Padmanabhan in the year 1986 as a Kathakali dancer. He furthered his training at Kathakali
centre under the able guidance of Shri Sadanam Balakrishnan.
The strong urge to explore, feel and create, led him to learn Modern dance with Shri Narendra
Sharmaji of Bhoomika Creative Dance Centre for next five years, performing and choreographing
dance pieces in a most innovative and heart touching manner.
The desire to incorporate varied and energetic movements into his dance style saw him learning
the traditional dance of Orissa, Mayurbhanj Chhau under Guru Janmey Joy Sai Babu from 1995-2000.
Trained both as a traditional and contemporary dancer, Santosh Nair has proved his excellence
in the field of dance and choreography by creating a unique style of his own.
In 1998 he initiated his own company by the name of Sadhya-a unit of performing arts
which rests on the philosophy of tradition & innovation & has now established itself
as one of the leading contemporary Indian dance companies of the country.
Following are the milestone establishing his credentials both as a performer & choreographer.
NATIONAL LEVEL :
- Brought together nearly 100+ artistes from different styles of Dance for
the World Dance Day celebration. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 at NCPA Mumbai.
Collaborating with India Habitat Centre & NSD. Presented by HTC in 2015-2016.
- Performed. “Inner Images" an experimental contemporary solo for Narendra
Sharma Festival of Dance ( 2013)& Ignite Dance Festival ( 2015).
- Performed, "The Game of Dice" for BharatRang Mohotsav,
National School of Drama festival, New Delhi. The production was also
performed at the Samrachana festival, Orissa & Nrityakatha festival,
Kolkatta. ( 2012)
- Performed, " Chaitanya" for Narendra Sharma Dance festival,
New Delhi. (2012)
- Brought together a festival of contemporary dance, "Quarterfest"
in collaboration with IHC. (2011,2012)
- Staged the production, ' We can make the difference' at Kamani, New
Delhi. ( 2011)
- Designed & presented a site specific dance performance at Zorba
The Buddha, New Delhi. ( 2011)
- Directed a 70 artists ensemble from different genres in collaboration
with IHC on World Dance Day. 2011.
- Choreographed for the Celebration of 10 yrs of Bhagidari for Delhi.
- Choreographed, "Chaitanya"-home production, premiered in
- Choreographed, French Opera-If I were King, premiered in Delhi-2010
- Choreographed "Jagriti
the awakening" for the Sangeet
Natak Akademi festival in 2009 in Mumbai.
- Choreographed the home production-"We can make the difference"
based on global warming & earth care. ( 2008 )
- Choreographed-the home production-Nataraj-the Lord of Dance based on
Mayurbhanj Chhau & contemporary dance. ( 2007 )
- Choreographed-A Doll's House-supported by Norway Embassy. ( 2006 )
- Choreographed-The French Opera-The Pearl Fisher using Chhau &
contemporary style- premiered in Delhi & Mumbai. ( 2005 )
- Choreographed a multi-media home production-"The Game of Dice"
drawing from Mayurbhanj Chhau, Kathakali & contemporary dance.
- Choreographed & performed in Swarn Nritya Pratibha at Vadodara
hosted by Sangeet Natak Akademi.(2004)
- Performances & choreography work for various corporate &
- Choreographed and performed in the Kal Chakra festival at Bodhgaya in
the play " The Life of Gautam Buddha"(2002).
- Choreographed and peformed in Uday Shankar Samaroh, a festival of
choreographic works in Calcutta hosted by Sangeet Natak Akademi(2002).
- Choreographed some prestigious stage shows in the capital under the
direction of Mr. R.K Dhingra of Modern Stage Services(Chamanlal Memorial
INTERNATIONAL LEVEL :
- Delegate from India sponsored by Japan foundation for The Performing Arts Meeting in Yokohama, Japan. 2016
- Festival of India, Budapest, Hungary presenting The Mystical Forest.
- Performed and choreographed in "Flamenco India" a collaboration of Indian & Spanish artistes produced
by Calderon Theatre, City Council of Valladolid & Teamwork, India. 2015
- Performed for the Festival of India ( Nrityarupa) in Latin America ( Peru & Cuba ) & Vietnam
under the aegis of Ministry of Culture & Sangeet Natak Akademi. ( 2013,2014)
- Was part of the Indian delegation under the aegis of British Council for British Dance Edition
in Edinburgh, Scotland. ( 2014 )
- Artistic Director for the Moving Earth project under Sampad South
Asian Arts, Birmingham, UK, involving 240 artistes for the Jubilee
Celebration of the Queen's reign. ( 2012)
- Performed & choreographed, "The Game of Dice", in
Toronto, Canada for Kalanidhi Fine Arts Festival & in Austria under
the aegis of ICCR. 2011.
- Choreographed " Stealth" for Canada Dance Festival in
Ottawa. ( 2010 )
- Choreographed-"The Spirit of India"- the contemporary
section for the Inauguration of The Year of India in Russia in Bolshoi
Theatre, Moscow under the aegis of ICCR ( 2009 )
- Performed The Game of Dice, at National Theatre in Oslo, Norway. (
- Performed The Game of Dice for the International Festival IBSA, in
Brazil & Port of Spain. ( 2007 )
- Collaboration project-Motherland-with Sampad south asian arts,
Birmingham, in August, September'07 as co-choreographer & performer
with another of Sadhya's senior artist.( 2007 )
- Performed Mayurbhanj Chhau in Kalanidhi International Dance Festival
at Toronto, Canada. ( 2006 )
- Performed in the Ibsen festival in Oslo, Norway ( 2006 )and in an
Indo-Norwegian project with Damini House of Culture in Norway-where
Chhau, Kathak & Modern dance were braught together(2005). Beyond
Borders-a collaboration project with Norwegian choreographer &
dancers in Norway.(2003)
- Choreographed and performed in the play "Life of Gautam Buddha"
staged in various cities in United States of America and
- Performed in the festival of India, London(2001).
- A Chhau performance in the Big World Festival in Brazil(1998)
- Collaborated work with eminent Austrian Choreographer Editta Braun
with performances in Germany, Vienna, Salzburg and other European
- Performance in China, North Korea, Mongolia, Indonesia as solo
Mayurbhanj Chhau dancer with Natya Ballet centre(1995).
- A keen participant of a Modern Dance Workshop during the American
dance festival in Delhi(1990).
- Performance in International Festival in West Germany in Modern
WORKSHOPS/LEC-DEM etc :
- Workshop in Mayurbhanj Chhau at NCPA, Mumbai & Jugini Festival by
Terrence Lewis Contemporary Dance Company. 2016
- Conducted workshop in Mayurbhanj Chhau & Contemporary dance with World
Dance Alliance, Bangladesh Chapter in Dhaka. 2015.
- Conducted workshop with 20 different groups in Mayurbhanj Chhau in
Birmingham, UK for a project in 2012 as the artistic director for the
Moving Earth Project, presented by Sampad South Asian Arts for the
cultural Olympiad.( 2011)
- Mayurbhanj Chhau residency in Toronto, Canada, as pert of Kalanidhi
Fine Arts Festival. ( 2011).
- Invited for Dance Intense in Toronto, Canada as Master-Teacher for
Movement workshop with International Professional dancers. (2009)
- On Mayurbhanj Chhau & contemporary dance for Tanushree Shankar's
group in Calcutta. ( 2008)
- On Mayurbhanj Chhau in Oslo-Norway(2003, 2006 )
- On contemporary and Mayurbhanj Chhau dance form in Houston(USA-2002).
- On techniques of contemporary dance form, Mayurbhanj Chhau and
choreography with the Delhi based dance company-Danceworx(2002 &
- On understanding the field of choreography with the students of Lady
Sriram College(2000, 2002 & 2003)
- In memory of Jeevan Pani ji an eminent scholar on usage of Mayurbhanj
Chhau for choreographic work(2001)
- On techniques of Mayurbhanj Chhau in Brazil and Austria(1998).
Institute At : B-96, Shivalik, New Delhi -
Mobile No. : 26693030, 9810105441
Visit : www.sadhya.com
E-mail : email@example.com