Mayurbhanj Chhau dance form has a long history. Originally a
tribal dance, which originated from the forests of Mayurbhanj in the 18th
century, it got the status of a martial art form in the 19th century. Slowly
& steadily Mayurbhanj Chhau left its martial character and mellowed.
Under the Royal Patronage it received proper attention & direction and
showed a bright future and utmost perfection as a dance of excellent style
in the field of eastern art and culture of India.
Mayurbhanj Chhau- has highly evolved techniques of its own for which it
differentiates itself from other forms of dance. These techniques of
Mayurbhanj Chhau are based on various body movements.
Sadhya'S Work Based On Mayurbhanj Chhau Entails :
Some of the work undertaken in the past :
- Collaboration Projects
- Choreography Work
- Workshop with 20 different groups in Mayurbhanj Chhau in Birmingham,
UK for a project in 2012 as the artistic director for the Moving Earth
Project, presented by Sampad South Asian Arts for the cultural
- Mayurbhanj Chhau residency in Toronto, Canada, as part of Kalanidhi
Fine Arts Festival. ( 2011).
- Dance Intense in Toronto, Canada as Master-Teacher for Movement
workshop with International Professional dancers. (2009)
- Workshop for Tanushree Shankar's group in Calcutta. ( 2008)
- On Mayurbhanj Chhau in Oslo-Norway(2003, 2006 )
- In Houston(USA-2002).
- On techniques of contemporary dance form, Mayurbhanj Chhau and
choreography with the Delhi based dance company-Danceworx(2002 &
- In memory of Jeevan Pani ji an eminent scholar on usage of Mayurbhanj
Chhau for choreographic work(2001)
- On techniques of Mayurbhanj Chhau in Brazil and Austria(1998).